Just Another Mother's Day



1 comments
Mother's Day. It's just another day really isn't it? 


For a few days or weeks leading up to it I had been repeatedly asked what was I getting for Mother's day. I was kind of surprised by this question. As we all know, two and a half year olds aren't exactly capable of going to the shops, pulling out their money and purchasing a gift on their own. Up until possibly teenage years, any presents given to a Mother are either purchased by someone else, usually being a Father, which is then given to the child to give to the Mother, or it is made at school or daycare etc. And being a single mother, it would only really be able to be the latter.


So being asked this question sometimes just made me want to turn around and ask said person, 'whatever it is you are planning on buying for me'. 


Not receiving a present didn't really phase me however. Celebrating the fact that I am a Mother and being able to spend time with my beautiful boy was a gift in itself and something I was pleased with. The week leading up I did receive a painted bangle from his daycare, glitter and all. I loved it. The way he gave it to me with pride telling me 'Mummy I made this for you', melted my heart. During the week he would bring it to me and remind me that he had made it so I would put it on and see the grin on his face, it was beautiful, a lovely present. It's also the first year that I know he would have been able to paint himself, relatively unguided by the beautiful girls at his daycare. I wore that bangle with a smile. 


I had thought about buying myself a gift, then in the end couldn't be bothered. 


So, Sunday morning of Mother's day hit. Being Sunday meant that we would be off to church that day but thankfully we weren't in any rush as I wasn't on any teams that week. Leon woke up and as he does joined me in bed for some cuddles. Along with Leon came cars, many of them. We laid in bed for a while, snuggling, playing cars and drinking milo in bed (because it was a special occasion) when I received a txt from a friend. I can't remember exactly what she had said but basically asked if I could come along to church a little earlier. Immediately I knew she was up to something, being sneaky and all but I agreed. So we quickly jumped out of bed to get ready to be there in time. 




I met her at the designated spot where I was greeted by her and another friend, two beautiful girls that constantly go out of their way to encourage me, love me and build me up and also adore Leon with all their hearts. 


I had already figured that they were going to be giving me some sort of gift for Mother's day and I was trying to figure out what. I was clueless! 


I was given the first gift and was helped to open it by Leon and his little friend Connah. It was one of those fabulously corny mugs that every person in the world must/needs to own. I had a chuckle and thought that was it. I had thought of how thoughtful my friends were to even think about me and bother getting me anything at all! I was already touched by their gesture.


Then they brought out another wrapped gift and once again with the assistance of my two helpers I opened it. It took me a few seconds to take in what I was looking at but right there before me was a photo frame full of photos from a recent photo shoot of my darling boy. 


A few weeks, in fact maybe a month earlier my friend had asked to steal Leon for an afternoon and take him out for ice cream, to give me a rest and to also hang out with him, which isn't uncommon so I thought nothing of it. During their outing they happened to bump into another friend of ours (who is a photographer) while she was out which also isn't uncommon, they weren't exactly in an obscure place. So now I find out that they didn't run into each other at all, it was all planned for this particular purpose, to do a little photo shoot of Leon then surprise me on Mother's day with this gift. 


I was blown away. I teared up (a little) at this beautiful, thoughtful gift. How did I become so lucky to have such kind, compassionate and considerate friends who would go out of their way to do such a thing for me? So much planning and love had gone into this gift that I felt so undeserving of it but instead chose to accept and treasure it. 


The photo may not be blurry but you can see the beauty in it.
Even though Mother's day to me really isn't about the gift you get, instead more of the blessings you have in your children, this was quite some gift. I'm still kind of speechless about it. I show it off proudly to those who come into my house and enjoy telling the story behind it. It isn't just some frame full of amazing photos of my son, it's a frame full of beauty in friendship. 


I may not have a husband or a partner to do anything for me; but I have amazing friends who I am truly blessed to have. They stick beside me through thick and thin, they do wonderful things for me, they adore my son and they amaze me! I just hope I am half the friend back to them that they are to me. So with friends like mine, Mother's day isn't just another day, it was such a special day to me. Thank you Sarah, Shannon and Melanie for this, you have no idea how much this means to me. I love my friends!





Miss Crosby x






1 comments:

Carolyn Crook at: 28 May 2012 at 16:41 said...

You are blessed because of the goodness in you heart Megan. As mothers we don't always get everything right (don't let Russell see I've written that heehee). We kind of got to just muddle it along and what leads us is the love we have for our children. What a child needs most, is to be loved and your love for Leon is greater that infinity.

XXX Gamma

Post a Comment

newer post older post